Pregnancy is one of the most important and sensitive periods for women. Nutrition during this period is very important for both mother and fetus. Dates are one of the essential items for this period. Because they are full of nutrients and minerals which are necessary for the body. Dates also have anti-constipation properties that stimulate uterine contractions and shorten labor. Dates have wonderful role in providing enough energy for pregnant women.
Date consumption during pregnancy
Eating dates during pregnancy is beneficial for mother and baby. The fructose sugar in dates is quickly digested and provides energy to the body without altering blood sugar levels in the body. Dates also have anti-constipation properties that stimulate uterine contractions and shorten labor.
Some benefits of eating dates during pregnancy are as the following:
- Supply of energy: During pregnancy you need more energy than usual. Eating a few dates each day can provide the sugar you need without adding calories.
- Avoiding constipation: Date as a fruit which is rich in fiber can help your digestive system and treat constipation during pregnancy.
- Help preventing birth defects: Date is a good source of folate (folic acid). Folate prevents birth defects related to the brain and spinal cord.
- Providing vitamin K for the baby: Vitamin K helps bone formation. Babies are born with little vitamin K. if the mother consumes dates, she can provide the vitamins the baby needs while breastfeeding.
- Preventing anemia: Date can provide the amount of iron needed to protect your baby from anemia during pregnancy.
- Maintaining water and salt balance: Date contains potassium which maintains the balance of water and salt, controls blood pressure and prevents muscle cramps. The deficiency of this mineral can lead to kidney problems.